Saturday, November 17, 2012

Be Aware.

Every year worldwide over 15 million babies are born too soon...
over a million of those are here in the United States...
over 1,400 babies will be born today premature.
and premature birth is the number one cause of death in infants.

November is Prematurity Awareness Month, and today is National Prematurity Awareness Day.

What can you do?


March of Dimes is a foundation that has raised awareness and helped to save MILLIONS of babies through many programs and tons of research.

Being the mother of two premature babies I speak so passionately about this foundation, because I have lived it. I was healthy  I ate what I was suppose to, avoided what I should. I didn't drink, I didn't smoke, I didn't use drugs. I was active, and pregnant with twins. Many people have twins, triplets and even quads these days without complications, so I didn't go into labor early because I had two. SO WHY? Why did my boys come so early at 24 weeks? Unfortunately we may never know, but that is what research at the March of Dimes hopes to do. They hope to find more reasons why women go into preterm labor, and research and develop medicines and procedures that can prevent or help to lengthen the time pregnant. Ever day counts, and every day increases the chance of survival of the baby. I've been on both sides in my journey.

The side of heart break.
The side of survival.

Knowing that research and funding can help to develop new medicines, procedures, and much more makes me want to do something. ANYTHING to help prevent my story from happening to another mother. To prevent another mother from losing their precious little one is so important to me, because I know how hard it is. I know that some days I wake up and miss my son so badly I can hardly breath, but I have faith and family to support me and help me to breath again. Some women may not have that support, may not be able to come back from a loss of their child. So today I ask that you just become more aware. I ask that you donate. If you are broke- DON'T WORRY you can still do something to help! While we were in the NICU a group of ladies donated knitted prayer blankets to every NICU family, and if you follow our blog, you know, Blake snuggled with the whole time he was in the NICU.

 Also you can donate preemie clothes, or hats. It was a great day when we would get new hats for Blake to wear when he couldn't even wear clothes yet. It was our little bit of normalcy. Also, keep in mind that next year I will be SEARCHING for new volunteers to walk with Zach and I at the March for Babies Walk in honor of Blake and in memory of Conor.

Conor's footprints at birth.

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I give thanks to my God upon every remembrance of you. ~Philippians 1:2-3 


Blake at his lowest weight of 1 lb 1oz. 
To my little chunker... at 11+ pounds.

Miracles happen everyday...We are just blessed to have given birth to one.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...